The Registrar, working in either the Main Desk or the Emergency
Room locations, is responsible for complete and accurate
registrations, including the proper completion of required consent
for treatment and payer compliance forms and the copying/scanning
of patient insurance cards. The Registrar practices exceptional
customer service and professionalism, manages the hospital PBX
incoming phone lines, when needed, performs pre-admission,
insurance verification and certification, mail distribution, and
data entry as assigned. Additionally, the Registrar will collect
payments at time of service as instructed, and ensures accurate
posting. The Registrar's daily responsibilities are directed by the
Admitting Supervisor and/ or the ER Supervisor, if applicable.
Primary Scope of Responsibilities:
* Performs accurate registration using thorough interview
technique to ensure that information is 100% complete and accurate.
Ensures that all compliance requirements have been met, and the
registration is properly created and/or updated for anticipated
* Performs cash collections at time of service, consistent with
financial counseling procedures, the hospital's Credit and
Collection Policy and Guidelines and other financial directives.
Utilizes Meditech system payment and receipt on all applicable
encounters. Handles money competently, properly balances received
payments and returned change, and balances and reconciles cash
* Sorts and distributes incoming mail as assigned on the day of
* 100% correct registration of patient information, verifying
all patient demographics, insurance information, insurance
verifications, copying and scanning insurance cards as well as
appropriate patient identification. Understand and complies with
all Hospital, EMTALA, patient confidentiality, Advance Directives,
ABN's and Insurance waivers.
* 100% correct admission data that includes review of type of
account, duplications of registration of M#, subscriber errors,
correct status change, accommodation rate, admission source and
cash posting or closing cash drawer.
* Fiscal responsibility that includes reviewing and competing
ABN's, insurance waivers, and ensuring completed pre-certification
as needed. Performs cash collections according to guidelines and
posts payments timely and accurately.
* Participates in department training and staff meetings. Reads
daily summary reports and emails to ensure they are aware of any
* Records pertinent documentation in accordance with regulatory
requirements, professional standards and hospital policy.
* Adheres to federal, state and hospital rules and regulations
concerning HIPAA privacy and security.
* Follows Hospital compliance plan and policies, including the
Code of Conduct.
* Participates in required training for compliance related
activities (HIPAA, Compliance, Patient Safety, TJC, etc.)
POPULATION SPECIFIC CRITERIA
* Demonstrates the ability to assess and interact with customers
of all ages, recognizing language and learning barriers, and
* 2-3 years of experience in related field preferred
* Ability to concentrate and show attention to detail
* Relatively high degree of analytical abilities required
* Strong interpersonal skills required
* Ability to work independently required
* Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
* Spanish preferred
* High School Diploma or GED, preferred.
* Normal patient care environment with little exposure to
excessive noise, dust and temperature
* May be exposed to communicable diseases through normal or
careless performance of responsibilities
* May be exposed to mechanical dangers associated with