Director Of Surgical Services
Company: Aspen Valley Hospital
Location: Glenwood Springs
Posted on: January 18, 2023
Embrace the adventure of a career at Aspen Valley Hospital. Aspen
Valley Hospital is a twenty-five-bed community hospital that
represents the best of two worlds - the warmth and friendliness of
a small town and the technical expertise of a major medical center.
Our award-winning hospital, nestled in the heart of Aspen, CO,
includes a team of more than 500 people dedicated to making a
difference for our patients, families, and community. Nationally we
are recognized for providing some of the most exceptional patient
care of any hospital across the country.
AVH requires COVID-19 Vaccination for all Staff.
This Position Offers:
Highly competitive pay, comprehensive benefits package (including
generous PTO, health insurance within your first 30 days,
retirement), being part of an amazing and cohesive team and four of
North America's top ski resorts at your doorstep.
The Director, Perioperative Services is responsible for overall
development, operations and strategy implementation related to the
departments served (SDS, PACU, Endoscopy, OR, Anesthesia, SPD).
This person develops innovative relationships with community and
regional partners to facilitate care of patients seen in these
departments. Provides leadership with the aim of improving
strategic partnerships, and opportunities that support building an
integrated health system for Aspen Valley Hospital. Acts as a
liaison between AVH executive team and community leaders.
Represents the CEO and COO to develop short-term and long-range
plans with community partners (TSC, SSOC, AVWC, etc). Also serves
as primary point of contact for communications, where applicable.
Participates on internal and external committees where input is
valuable (compliance, quality, patient safety, department of
Quality clinical outcomes standards are determined jointly with
Medical Staff and monitored for effectiveness. Administrative
responsibilities include planning, organizing, leading controlling
and coordinating the overall work of the professional and
nonprofessional behavioral health personnel within the department
on an as-needed basis. Responsibilities also include preparation of
and accountability for annual operational and capital budget. Works
integrally with the direct and indirect health care team members;
facilitates all avenues of communication regarding surgical
patients. The Director is expected to: model professional behavior
to staff, physicians, patients, and visitors; display mutual
respect and cultural competency; promote trust and excellence;
effectively manage resources; and demonstrate responsibility for
Primary Scope of Responsibilities:
- Clinical Program Development - Create and expand a system of
care for patients health needs within the perioperative areas. Work
with internal (administration, staff) and external stakeholders
(physician group partners) to implement health strategies that
optimize quality of care.
- Program Management - Responsible for planning and overseeing
department related initiatives, plans and programs. Plan and
designate program resources, monitor progress and keep stakeholders
informed by providing consistent updates about strategy,
adjustments and progress.
- Personnel Management - Manages department staffing, including
recruitment, supervision, scheduling, orientation, development,
evaluation, and disciplinary actions. Also includes management of
contractual relationships as indicated. Maintains open
communication with staff. Holds staff meetings as appropriate and
keeps Administration informed of issues. Conducts growth and
development counseling of all staff in a timely fashion. Works with
external contractors and staff to assure overall accessibility of
health services is available system wide.
- Fiscal Responsibility - Develop business case justifications
and cost/benefit analyses for all responsible department spending
and initiatives. Develop and review budgets and ensure they comply
with stated goals, guidelines, and objectives. Ensures departments
operate within the budgets approved. Submits variance reports
within the required time frame. Works cooperatively with Patient
Financial Services department to assure proper billing of patients.
Provides administrative direction and coordination in the
formulation and administration of relevant contractual agreements
- Regulatory & Accreditation Compliance - Develops and implements
all departmental policies and procedures as necessary for the
compliant functioning of the department, to include AORN, Medicare,
Medicaid, The Joint Commission, CMS standards (among others).
- Staff Development - Ensure that staff members are aligned with
department and organizational goals. Provide continued educational
opportunities to support those goals.
- Departmental Quality & Performance Improvement - Develop and
implement strategies to continually improve quality and performance
of the department as it relates to the mission and goals of the
organization. Monitors quality improvement initiatives, keeps staff
apprised of same, and creates plans for improvement where
necessary. Actively participates in Clinical Quality. Provides
oversight to ensure compliance and communication with external
partners regarding the implementation various programmatic
initiatives (service line co-management agreements, etc).
- Demonstrates purposeful service excellence through exceeding
patient and coworker expectations. Follows up on patient
concerns/complaints in a timely fashion
- Represents the department/hospital as a dedicated, courteous,
and responsive employee
- Records pertinent documentation in accordance with regulatory
requirements, professional standards and hospital policy and holds
staff accountable for requirements.
- Adheres to federal, state and hospital rules and regulations
concerning HIPAA privacy and security and holds staff accountable
- Follows Hospital compliance plan and policies, including the
Code of Conduct and holds staff accountable for conduct.
- Participates in required training and meetings for compliance
related activities (HIPAA, Compliance, Patient Safety, TJC, etc.)
and implements policies and practices to achieve compliance in all
areas. Holds staff accountable for completion of same.
- Ensures a safe environment for patients and staff. Investigates
and follows-up with occurrence and employee injury reports in a
- Aligns with and supports the hospital Mission, Vision, Values
and Goals. Appropriately represents management perspective to
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own
professional decision making and professional growth.
- Makes assertive, independent and sound decisions using
appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
Population Specific Criteria:
- Demonstrates the ability to assess and interact with customers
of all ages, recognizing language and learning barriers, and
- Actively pursues policy development, implementation, education,
and maintenance of highest standard of care to patients of all ages
- 5 years of experience in surgical settings as a
- 5 years of experience in a health care perioperative setting as
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
- Spanish preferred but not required
- Ability to concentrate and show attention to detail
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
- Ability to work independently
- Relatively high degree of analytical abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills required
- Bachelor's/Master's degree preferred.
- Colorado RN license required.
- BLS Required
Benefits & Compensation:
Hire-in rates of pay are based upon the relevance of years of
experience, education and certifications. Our talent acquisition
team will help you understand how your direct experience will be
Pay range for new hires: $132,745 - $172,473
Our comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off,
health insurance within your first 30 days, and retirement, which
can be viewed here.
Keywords: Aspen Valley Hospital, Snowmass , Director Of Surgical Services, Executive , Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!